Will Hudson – It’s Nice That.
- Do it, get it done
- If you’re a bit of a dick, no one will want to work with you
- Lukewarm is no good
- Always work just beyond your comfort zone
- solutions not problems
- Open and honest, have dialogue with people
- Only spend it when you have it
Jon Cockley – Handsome Frank.
Handsome Frank are an illustration agency based in London.
- it’s good to do things face to face.
- They don’t charge for promotion.
- His advice for illustrators is have a variety of subject matter, people want to know what they are going to get. Show that you can as much as you can.
- Target people, try to give people something they wont dare throw away.
- Think of yourself as a brand. Everything needs to be considered. Think about tone of voice.
- Be Confident, don’t make excuses about your work.
- Theres no wrong price to ask for when getting paid for work.
- Don’t take on work you know you can’t do.
- Expect to negotiate, don’t work for free.
- Attitude is the most important thing.
- and you have to be flexible about changes, expect to have to make revisions to your work when working for a client.
Alec Dudson – Intern Magazine.
- Young people are the future.
- “If no one else would give me a job, maybe I could give myself one?”
- Soft skills carry as much, if not more weight than hard skills.
- No matter what skill level or grade you are, you have value.
- Fuck you, pay me.
This was a really good day, they all had really great presentations and lots of great advice and information about working in the industry.